[texworks] Linux build and manual

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:05:47 CEST 2009

On 11 Aug 2009, at 11:30, Mike Willis wrote:

> This message (http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2009q3/001330.html)
> about new Windows and Mac binaries makes reference to an entry on the
> Help menu called TeXworks manual". Is it possible to compile a Linux
> build which has that option and if so, how?
>
> Running texworks under strace reveals that texworks looks for a
> directory /usr/local/share/texworks-help so I wondered if creating
> that
> directory and putting a copy of the manual in there might make the
> option appear. But it doesn't. It doesn't achieve anything as far as I
> can see, although strace shows that texworks notices that there are
> files in there.

Try creating

   /usr/local/share/texworks-help/TeXworks\ Manual/en/

and then putting the HTML files (from Alain's site) in there. TeXworks
should look for any subdirectories of texworks-help, and if it finds
an index.html file inside (optionally in a language-specific subdir
such as "en", "fr",...) then it will add a Help menu item to launch it.

(Obviously, this is a job for the packager/installer to take care of...)

> I'm also curious about an executable called texworks-help. My texworks
> executable is at /usr/bin/texworks and strace ouput indicates that it
> looks for a file /usr/bin/texworks-help which doesn't exist. What does
> texworks-help do and how does one create it?

No, there's no texworks-help executable; it's looking to see if there
is a texworks-help directory alongside the texworks binary. Obviously,
that's not where you'd put documentation if you're installing under /
usr, but if you want to run a "standalone" texworks from a USB stick,
for example, this allows the documentation to accompany the executable.

JK