[texworks] Wordcount

CB cb.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 06:24:49 CEST 2009

> It's a reasonable request, though doing a word-count for any kind of (La)TeX
> document can be a rather ill-defined affair -- what exactly is a "word", and
> which ones count as being part of the document content? These things are
> often not clear-cut.

True enough, evidenced by the fact that I've tried a few LaTeX
word-counting tools over the years, but haven't ever had 2 that give
the same result. One possibility might be to count the words in the
pdf output rather than the source. That way the user could decide
which bits to typeset and thus have included in the count. I don't
know if this is technically feasible, but if so it would get around
many of the issues.

> Having said that, I'd encourage you to file a feature request at
> <http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/list> as well, as this helps to
> ensure the idea is not forgotten. It may not get implemented right away, but
> if it's in that list then I'll keep noticing it from time to time.

OK, done (http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=157).

Cheers,

CB.