[texworks] Some remarks regarding TeXworks on Mac OS X

Alain Delmotte esperanto at swing.be
Thu Jul 30 10:05:04 CEST 2009

Hi!

Jonathan Kew a écrit :
> On 29 Jul 2009, at 11:20, Berend Hasselman wrote:
>

>> Using TeXworks 0.1 (r.333) on Mac OS X 10.5.7.
>>
>> First of all: my compliments to the developers.
>> This looks really nice and will be a very desirable replacement for
>> dvi viewers. Hopefully the editor will be extended soon.
>>
>> I have the following remarks
>>
>> 1. after  editing a typesetting command in the preferences (whether
>> or not you have made changes), the  typesetting command on the
>> toolbaar reverts to pdfTeX (the top of the list). I have changed  the
>> typesetting default to pdflatexmk.
>
> As it happens, I just fixed this in the source code yesterday, so the
> next build should resolve this problem.
Good, it also happens under Windows! I should have reported long ago!!
Bad boy!
>> 2. After doing a remove aux files the same happened: the typesetting
>> command on the toolbar reverted to pdfTeX.
>> I didn't look, did a Typeset and then pdfTeX doesn't understand
>> \documentclass (of course) and waits for input and you can't respond.
>
> You should be able to respond to the error prompt (assuming you have
> some idea how! such as typing "x" to exit) in the bottom-line input
> field that appears during typesetting.
Sure, but you have to realize that pdflatex is back to pdftex!!
>> 2. I would like to change some of the keybindings. For example: Home
>> ==> goto start of line and End ==> goto end of line.
>> Some may feel that this is not Mac-like but one can configure Mac OS
>> X with a DefaultKeyBindings.dict to do just that.
>> Which is what I have done since I cannot get used to the alternatives.
>> I have not been able to find anything in the ~/Library/Texworks
>> folder (I vaguely remember that in Windows there is a file letting
>> you change keybindings?). Apparently the QT library doesn't honour my
>> keybindings.
>
> Sorry, I don't think there's a way to do this at the moment. The
> DefaultKeyBindings.dict file you mention is specific to Apple's Cocoa
> text system, but TeXworks is not using this because of the desire to
> be portable. I agree it would be nice to provide this possibility in
> the future.
What are the keybindings on the Mac? And for the other movements? I
should know for the manual!
Could we not change this in the translation file (and so in the source
for the English version)?
>> 4. a keyboard shortcut as supplement  to the toolbar button "Stop
>> process" (replaces the typeset button when typesetting is active)
>> (then I don't have to leave  the keyboard after doing Command+T)
> Actually, Command-T will do this, as the action is toggled between
> "Typeset" and "Interrupt", though I don't think the menu item actually
> changes at the moment. But also, I'm not happy with this, as it's too
> easy to hit it by accident, so expect it to change at some point.
I am not sure that this would be a good change!!
Others comments!

Alain