[texworks] Icon v7 (was: Icon v6+pen)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:30:19 CEST 2009

On 23 Jul 2009, at 06:33, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> In addition, I modeled a pen in Blender and added it to the image.
> Now I
> did read the copyright concerns, but I thought it was worth a try. The
> pen is obviously modeled after your image, but of course it's not an
> exact copy. In particular, I omitted the clip, and the tip is quite
> different. So I think it's pretty close to a generic pen, but I'm
> interested to hear your arguments.

Wow.... pretty cool!

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure there can't be any copyright issue with a
pen you're modeling from scratch in Blender, even if it's clearly
inspired by the photo Jérôme used. Personally, I'd like the nib to be
more slender, and try to reduce the yellowness of the metal a bit. I
think a clip would be nice, though it's not essential.

Another aspect you could try adjusting would be the rounded top of the
pen (cap).... at the moment it gives me the impression of quite a
"fat" rounded cap (partly due to the perspective, maybe), which I'd
expect to see on a child's pen rather than a professional item; could
it gradually begin to taper quite a bit earlier, and then finish with
a smaller rounded (or almost-flat) end?

Finally, is it possible to give the body of the type a more "steely-
gray" color than it has at the moment? I feel it's lost something of
that since earlier versions, though perhaps it's just my memory
playing tricks. And restore more of the perspective-depth effect?
(Yes, I know that was maybe too extreme at one point, but I think it
enhances the visual interest, and somehow makes it feel more like a
piece of type and less like a child's alphabet block. Steeliness helps
that, too.)

Having said all that, I'm totally in awe of what you're doing....
there's no way I'd ever get results like that!

JK