[texworks] Error with Lua version

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 11:25:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

Alain Delmotte schrieb:
> When Lua is implemented there is a problem, under Windows, with the
> "Typeset" button of the tools bar.
>
> When one start typesetting, the green button (with a right pointing
> triangle) turns red (with a cross).
> If there is an error, clicking on the red button crashes TeXworks,
> which should halted by the terminate procedure of Windows. (you know,
> the one offering later the possibility to report to MicroSoft)

Curious, I just tried this and it didn't crash on my system.
Just for the record: I'm using Tw r333 (compiled myself) on Windows XP
with MikTeX 2.7 (but it didn't crash with the version I downloaded from
your page, either).

I did notice, however, that the log said "Process crashed" after I hit
the abort (i.e. red cross) button. I'd have to look into how this is
done, but I'd say it would be a lot better if it said "Process aborted
by user" or even "Typesetting aborted by user".

<technical speculations>
My guess is that the process is killed before the pipe to the output is
released. This could in principle cause crashes, especially if one tries
to access the output after the process has been terminated. If this is
true, the code should be changed to release the pipe first, then the
process should be terminated, and then a string saying that the user
aborted the process could be attached to the log.
</technical speculations>

> This doesn't happen with the base TeXworks or the one with the print
> capability.

This would indicate that the problem lies in the post processing of the
log in accordance with my technical speculations above.

Does this happen as well if you remove the LaTeX log output parser (e.g.
by moving the file to a different folder or by changing its extension to
.txt or something)?