[texworks] Icon v5 (was: About the Icon Design)

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Thu Jul 16 14:59:36 CEST 2009

Le 15 juil. 09 à 20:11, Stefan Löffler a écrit :

> On 2009-07-15 11:32, Jérome Laurens wrote:
>>
>> Stefan, could you add much more depth (the slot would then become
>> really visible) and also diminish the T descent (or lower the
>> baseline) in the top side as a counterpart, to have a better balance
>> of colors.
>>
>> Did you try a different lens/camera position in order to see 3 sides
>> of the movable type, more like the fi or K movable types above ?
>> Finally, the edges of the carved T are rounded, did you try a more
>> straight shape (see the fi type) ?
>>

> Now I did (try) ;). See attachment.
> Changelog:
> * Added more depth
> * Changed the camera angle to include 3rd side and to show the depth a
> little better
> * Made the edges of the T straight
> * Some minor changes (I had to adjust light positions to keep the
> highlights, make the specular color of the ink slightly blue-ish to
> keep
> it from flooding the image with white, etc.)
>
> Remarks, comments, criticisms, suggestions, ... anyone?
>
> Regards
> Stefan
> <tw-logo-blender-v5-512px.png>

It is much better but I still feel a bit uncomfortable with it.
My problem is that blender creates an image too close to the reality
to accept some inconsistent details.
The main problem is that a movable metal type is a very small object
whereas you have given it a bigger size (I guess but I am pretty sure
you did)
This causes 2 problems
1) the perspective is exaggerated: the top side is twice as big as the
bottom side, which means that the distance between the eye and the top
side is half the distance between the eye and the bottom side. Either
the observer is at 5mm of the type or the type is 50cm deep... None is
realistic.
2) the shadows are not properly rendered. Actually, you are using a
point light source, hence the very precisely shaped shadow regions.
In reality, the object is smaller that the light source, which means
that the shadows must be blurred.

I have played with inkscape (to evaluate it more seriously), here is
what I ended with: