[texworks] About the Icon Design (was: Icon Update)

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Wed Jul 15 11:32:19 CEST 2009

Le 14 juil. 09 à 13:15, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 14 Jul 2009, at 09:56, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Le 14 juil. 09 à 01:23, Jérome Laurens a écrit :
>>
>>> An icon following these rules as well as Mac OS X quidelines could
>>> be something like
>>>
>>> <texworks.png>
>>>
>>> - clearly related to TeX
>>> - the pen to indicate that this app is for making documents (the
>>> pen is standard on Mac OS X for such apps)
>>> - the square ruler in the background is used to diminish
>>> transparency
>>> it refers to geometry and measurements and as a tool it may also
>>> be related to "works".
>>
>> Again a nice illustration of your icon design skills. Very nice!
>
> Yes, beautiful -- which is no surprise, having seen Jérôme's other
> icons.
>
> Personally, though, I'm inclined to stay with Stefan's design, for a
> couple of reasons. I like the solidity (icons with holes in can be
> frustrating, when you inadvertently "click through" the holes and
> nothing happens);

This happened on Mac OS X 10.0 and was fixed in Mac OS X 10.2 IIRC
Does it still happen on windows ?

> I like the simple, easily-recognized shape that survives scaling
> even down to very small icon sizes, while at the same time having a
> design with enough visual interest at large sizes; and I like its
> potential for use as a "badge" element on document icons, which I
> think would more be difficult with the "TeX + pen" design at small
> sizes.
>

> None of this means that I don't like Jérôme's icon; it's a beautiful
> piece of work, and I'd agree that it is a more "Mac-like"
> application icon. But TW isn't just (or even primarily) a Mac
> application, so I don't want to give much weight to that aspect. And
> I suppose partly I'm reacting against the use of the word "TeX" as
> the primary element of the icon -- it just feels like something
> that's been done before (though not usually with such a stylish
> result, I admit!), and I prefer the more subtle reference of
> Stefan's T.

A 'T' icon was already used by TeXTures and by the first version of
texniccenter, but that is a detail.
I also like the idea of the T icon as a logo. My purpose was primarily
to point out the difference between an icon and a logo.

Here is the icon of Mac OS X Font manager