[texworks] Icon Update

Alain Delmotte esperanto at swing.be
Tue Jul 14 08:33:39 CEST 2009

Hi Stefan,

See partly my answer to Bruno, which I send before reading your message! :-(

Stefan Löffler a écrit :
> On 2009-07-13 23:34, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Le 13 juil. 09 à 22:24, Alain Delmotte a écrit :
>>

>>> I think that we do not have to add an icon for the pdf documents; it
>>> happens that TeX produces pdf documents, but it is not the only
>>> system to do. For .tex, .sty and other files associated to TeX (and
>>> for us TeXworks) OK.
>>>
>> If you're dismissing adding to TeXworks an icon for the PDF files that
>> it creates, on the basis that other applications as well can create
>> and read PDF files, then in the same way we should dismiss adding to
>> TeXworks an icon for the .tex files that it processes, on the basis
>> that other front-ends like TeXmaker or TeXnicCenter cab process them
>> as well.
>>

> I tend to generally agree with Bruno's point of view - not so much
> because TW _produces_ pdf files, but because it can _read_ them.
>

>> I don't think there's anything wrong with TeXworks associating a
>> specific icon to the PDF files produced through it.
>>

> Well, here we may have a problem, though (at least if I take your
> comment literally). Files usually get their icon from the application
> they are associated with (i.e. they are opened with). This, however, is
> file type specific, not file specific. This means that I don't think
> it's possible to give all pdf files produced by TW a special icon, while
> all the rest of the files keep their "normal" icon.
>
> Of course, Alain, if your point is that the pdf icon will probably never
> be used (because people don't use TW as their standard pdf reader), I
> completely support that. But nevertheless, if we can associate pdfs with
> TW (which we can, because TW understands pdfs), we should provide an
> icon for that - if we choose to provide such document icons.

TW can show pdf files, because, except Adobe Reader, no viewer can show
all the features of pdf files.
I often use the double-clic on pdf file icons to open them, usually with
PDF X Change because it provides some commenting of pdf files.
The previewer of TW is very important when working on a TeX document,
but I don't know if I am ready to use to view any pdf.

For some documents, like beamer pf, I even not use PDFXChange but Adobe
Reader.

Alain