[texworks] new Mac binary posted - testing welcome

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:37:33 CEST 2009

On 10 Jul 2009, at 10:08, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> Bruno Voisin schrieb:
>> The View menu offers Zoom In, Zoom Out, Actual Size, Fit to Width and
>> Fit to Window, but no fixed scale. And I couldn't understand how Zoom
>> In/Out pick up their magnifications (100 % -> 141.42% -> 200 % ->
>> 282.84% -> 400% -> 565.69% -> ... for the former).
>
> ...this seems to be related to the square root of 2. Apparently, every
> other step doubles the magnification, and it so happens that the steps
> in between are related by a factor of sqrt(2). I have no idea (and
> haven't checked) if this is hard-coded, but it seems too systematic to
> be a result of a random (or system dpi dependent) choice.

Right, each step scales by sqrt(2), so that two steps will double (or
halve) the magnification. Currently this is hard-coded. Yes, I agree
it would be nice to have a simple way to set an explicit mag value,
e.g., via the status-bar control; we just need to work out the
interface details.

The resolution setting in Preferences acts as an overall "scaling
factor" for the preview display, such that if you set it to match your
physical screen resolution then the "100%" size will in fact be the
true physical size. If the resolution is set to a lower value, the
"100%" view will be correspondingly smaller, etc. Unfortunately,
texworks doesn't currently have a reliable way to find out the true
resolution of your screen, so it can't necessarily pick the ideal
default here. (It asks the OS, but the system may mislead!)

JK