[texworks] German translation updates

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:59:34 CEST 2009

On 2009-07-08 14:21, Thomas Floeren wrote:
> Stefan Löffler <> scribbled on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:41 PM:
>

>> Thomas Floeren schrieb:
>>
>>> By the way, when I switch my TeXworks to German it shows
>>> "Übersetzen" for "Typeset"; shouldn’t this rather read "Setzen" (or
>>> maybe "Kompilieren")?
>>>

>> Hm, yeah, I'm not too happy with "Übersetzen", which would probably
>> lead people to believe it somehow translates the text. "Setzen",
>> though being the literal translation, would be rather difficult to
>> comprehend especially for newcomers IMO, however, because it can have
>> many meanings other than typeset.
>>

> Hm, I don’t know any other meanings of "Setzen" in the context of source-file editing for typesetting. Do you, really?

Well, there is the meaning of "sitting down", or the (probably less
common) meaning of "setting (sth.) down (somewhere)". But I admit these
are not relevant in the context of "source-file editing for
typesetting". However, they come to mind nevertheless. Furthermore, I
rather associate "setzen" in this context with the physical work of
assembling movable letters - rather than the creation of bits and bytes
out of other bits and bytes ;).

In any case, I can live well with "Setzen". It's the literal translation
and it's in principle the right word - even though I don't know if
everyone recognizes this straight away. I just wanted to bring it up for
debate in case someone has a better suggestion (btw: IIRC the original
translation was "Übersetzen", which apparently noone really likes ;)).

@Jonathan: "Verarbeiten" would also be possible, although I'd consider
it too general.