[texworks] German translation updates

Thomas Floeren thomas.floeren at boschung.com
Wed Jul 8 14:21:10 CEST 2009

Stefan Löffler <> scribbled on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:41 PM:

> Thomas Floeren schrieb:
>> By the way, when I switch my TeXworks to German it shows
>> "Übersetzen" for "Typeset"; shouldn’t this rather read "Setzen" (or
>> maybe "Kompilieren")?
>>

> Hm, yeah, I'm not too happy with "Übersetzen", which would probably
> lead people to believe it somehow translates the text. "Setzen",
> though being the literal translation, would be rather difficult to
> comprehend especially for newcomers IMO, however, because it can have
> many meanings other than typeset.

Hm, I don’t know any other meanings of "Setzen" in the context of source-file editing for typesetting. Do you, really?

If you really see an ambiguity, how about "Textsatz"? This would be a very literal translation of "Typesetting", even though as a noun it sounds (to me) a bit clumsy here, and it is not very accurate (we are also ‘setting’ images, not only text); but the latter is as well true for the established english term.

> "Kompilieren" may also scare people
> off, because they either don't know what it is or associate with
> programming (something many people find complicated).
>
> I'd suggest something along the lines of "Dokument erstellen" (=create
> document) or "Ausgabe erstellen" (=create output). They are not quite
> ideal, either. "Dokument erstellen" may lead people to believe that it
> would actually create a new document, while "Ausgabe erstellen" is not
> really very descriptive (what output? how? why?). But I don't have any
> better suggestions.
>
> Stefan

Thomas