[texworks] Beginners' needs (was: Lua scripting)

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Jun 19 00:34:54 CEST 2009

Jérome Laurens a écrit :

> Le 18 juin 09 à 13:53, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
>
>> 1. Implement an 'auto' mode that tries to guess. Guessing between plain,
>> latex and context should be relatively easy, between pfdlatex and xelatex
>> may be less easy (but looking for keywords such as fontspec and xltxtra in
>> the preambule should get it right most of the time) and I have no idea
>> about context vs xecontext of pdftex vs xetex.
>
> The correct approach is to put this information inside the file or in a
> project file.

I think we're not discussing the same problem. If you put the information into
the file, the user still has to choose (alone or trough the "new document" panel
or whatever), but probably doesn't understand what the choices mean.

> emacs, auctex, winedit, texnicenter, texshop, itexmac already do this
> (and others for sure).
> Unfortunately there is no unique method for that but it should not be
> difficult to support all of them.

Texowrks supports the texshop syntax

% !TEX program = your_program

> The word processor Pages on Mac OS X provides a "new document" panel
> where people choose according to the expected result.
> A similar chooser will solve the problem pointed out above, at least for
> documents created by the user.

Well, it solves one problem: when the document is created and the user opens it
again, then the correct engine is selected (which is good).

But it will only move the problem we were discussing (that the user is asked to
make a choice while she "just wants to typeset a TeX document" and has no idea
what pdflatex, xetex, context, etc are) form the "typesetting" dropdown menu to
the "new document" panel.

Manuel.