[texworks] Printing (was: Beginners' needs)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 18:49:35 CEST 2009

Hi again,

On 2009-06-17 15:18, Stefan Löffler wrote:
>> b. the ability to print source code (for debugging this is sometimes
>> convenient) as well as the PDF output
>>

> As already suggested by others, this is indeed quite difficult
> (otherwise it would have been done already ;)). The main problem lies in
> the fact that there is no direct way to print pdfs via poppler and Qt.
> Therefore one has to work around it, which gets highly platform
> dependent. (Printing the source code on the other hand should be easy.)
> But I'll see what I can do about it when I have the time.

I had some time yesterday and today and came up with a simple printing
functionality (see
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=78#c1 for the patch).
Printing the source works well, I think. Printing PDFs is quite messy,
as suspected. It seems to work ok on Linux, I hope others here can test
it on Mac and Windows.

I can't emphasize enough that this is by no means a well-designed,
full-fledged high-quality printing system. I gets the job done, but the
last resort it uses is to render the pages as images and print these images.

-Stefan