[texworks] Beginners' needs (was: Lua scripting)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jun 18 03:16:10 CEST 2009

On 17 June 2009 Karl Berry wrote:

 > But I'm confused.  I thought TW has its own PDF viewer.  Why does
 > the question of external viewers come up?

pdftex is extremely powerful.  You can do (almost?) everything what
the PDF standard supports.

But you need Adobe Reader because essentially nothing, absolutely
nothing, is suported by xpdf.  Please try

  texdoc microtype

with Adobe Reader and with a program based on xpdf and compare the
results.

I recently prepared a PDF file, just to baffle my colleagues.  The
data had been imported in U3D format from a 3D CAD program called
SolidWorks.

  http://tug.org/~kotucha/test_U3D.pdf

You need Adobe Reader, at least.  None of my colleagues had seen
something like this before and I honestly must admit that I'm not an
exception.  What pdftex supports already is absolutely amazing.

But you need a viewer which supports all this.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25