[texworks] New version 302/303

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 5 12:39:15 CEST 2009

2009/6/5 Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com>:
> This is really strange, and I have not been able to reproduce this on OS X
> or Linux.

Yes, this is absolutely bizarre but it seems reproducible, see Alain's message.

> One issue to watch out for is that the PATH setting texworks sees may not be
> the same as the PATH you see in a terminal window -- at least on OS X and
> Linux, this depends how texworks is launched and how the PATH for shell
> windows is configured. On OS X, for example, texworks three different
> environments depending whether it is launched from the Xcode IDE (during
> development), from the Finder (the usual end-user scenario), or from a
> Terminal command line. Only in the last of these cases does it inherit the
> same PATH as my usual bash shell.

I have a fairly reasonable understanding how those things work on
Windows. Unless the environment block is specified explicitly during
process creation, the child process will get a copy of its parent's
environment. In that regard command shell (cmd.exe) behaves just like
any other process.

For a quick test I added 'cmd.exe /c path' to TW's tools to see what
PATH is used. I got what I expected -- PATH from TW (inherited from
the launching .bat script) that was prepended with some junk I
specified in the preferences dialog.

> I have just modified the processing of binpaths in TeXDocument::typeset(),
> and in particular I have enhanced the error message if the tool is not found
> so that it now lists the paths that were actually searched. So this way
> you'll more easily be able to see where it is really looking, once the
> defaults or Preference settings are taken into account, together with the
> current PATH. Maybe this will help clarify what's going on.

Great! I couldn't check what happens if there are no search dirs in
preferences. I hope that Alain can compile this new version and we can
get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Tomek