[texworks] [patch] using env PATH on Unix instead of compiled defaults

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Mon May 18 18:30:28 CEST 2009

On 18/05/2009, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> IIRC, MikTeX doesn't register properly in the path. At least I think I
> had to tell some LaTeX editors where to find it back in my Windows days.
> They may also have changed it in the meantime, but I wouldn't rely
> solely on the path on Windows.
>
> In general I'd suggest to keep the paths as they were in the sources so
> far *in addition* to respecting the path. This raises the question of
> which to prefer, however. And this depends on if (how) all these paths
> are shown to the user.

I would propose to construct the search path in the following way:

(user settings) + (PATH env var) + (defaults from -setup.ini) +
(compiled-in defaults)

This way the user settings take precedence, followed by what's found
in the environment and there is still fallback on on some defaults.
Only user defined part would need to be shown/managed in GUI.

On another note: how TW searches for tools? I removed all paths for
searching tools and defined a new tool with absolute path to pdflatex
and then I get an error that the program was not found (otherwise this
worked). I used precompiled rev. 291. Couldn't one simply set the
modified path in the environment and rely on the system to do the
search?

Cheers,

Tomek