[texworks] Hebrew Right to Left Mode

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 24 20:32:48 CEST 2009

On 24 Apr 2009, at 18:21, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2009-04-24 17:44, sjo wrote:
>> What is involved in creating a Hebrew right to left mode within an
>> English system. Is it just a case of addin .ts files (similar to
>> Texworks_ar.ts (for Arabic) without compilation), or would it need to
>> be created and recompiled from scratch.
>>

> I assume you're talking about the user interface (e.g. the text that
> is
> displayed in the menu, different dialogs, etc.). In that case
> supporting
> Hebrew should in fact be as simple as creating a translation (.ts)
> file,
> AFAIK. There shouldn't be any need for recompilation (apparently,
> rtl is
> supported, as shown by the arabic translation). You will need Qt
> Linguist, though (which is part of the Qt toolkit), and you will need
> the TW source code so Linguist knows which strings there are to
> translate. There shouldn't be any need to (re)compile TW, though.

Just to confirm this: you should be able to add a new user interface
language without recompiling TeXworks. You do need to "compile" the
translation file from .ts into .qm format, however. You can do this
directly from Qt Linguist with the "Release" command, or use the
lrelease command-line tool.

In any case, you'll need to check out the TW source code and run
lupdate tool to create the initial .ts file where you'll do the
translation. So you'll need to get the Qt development tools from
Trolltech/Nokia and the TW source from Google Code.

(See http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/Translating for notes on
the process.)

You can try out a new .qm file by installing it in <texworks-library>/
translations (where <texworks-library> is TW's library directory,
exact location depends on your operating system). I'm also happy to
add new translations to the main repository, so that they will become
part of the standard distribution for future versions.

JK