[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Mar 15 21:36:22 CET 2009

Karl Berry a écrit :
>     Hee is now my question: Is there a way to change the default
>     settings/paths for TeX Works, so that new users don't have to go into
>     the configure dialog?
>
> I think the ideal would be for TW to support a "system config file"
> (located somewhere relative to the binary, have to think about the
> precise path) with defaults, that in turn get overridden by the "user
> config file".

I don't know exactly what would be the ideal solution, but I'd like to propose
another way, which I think has not been proposed yet. You want to have TL
configure TeXworks, but it would also be possible to go the other way round and
have TeXworks auto-detect TL.

I think many TeX-shells have a kind of auto-configuration wizard with data about
 TeX distributions allowing them to auto-detect everything without user
intervention. And for TeXworks it would even be easier since it doesn't need to
detect the pdf/ps/dvi viewers. Also with TeXlive, since the *tex binaries are in
the path, things are easier than with eg MikTeX.

This way, TL doesn't need to care about TeXworks configuration (which may change
in the future) nor updates.

By the way, of course it doesn't prevent TeXworks from having a system-wide
configuration file, either generated by the installer or hand-crafted by the
local sysadmin.

Manuel.