[texworks] Building TeXworks on WinXP

Alain Delmotte esperanto at swing.be
Tue Jan 13 12:28:51 CET 2009

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>> But I got errors running "qmake -t vcapp" on texworks:
>> WARNING: Unable to generate output for:
>> c:/texworks/texworks/Makefile.Debug (TEMPLATE vcapp]
>> WARNING: Unable to generate output for:
>> c:/texworks/texworks/Makefile.Release (TEMPLATE vcapp]
>>
>> and Texworks.vcproj was not created.
>>
>> NB. I downloaded the source of texworks *not* with an svn command, but
>> just with svn update (I have Turtoise svn, but no ID)
>>

> This is interesting for a number of reasons:
> 1) Are you running this from a normal (Windows/Dos) command prompt (i.e.
> choose Start -> Run and enter "cmd"). I'm asking this because qmake in
> this mode shouldn't be producing any Makefile.* files (and hence
> shouldn't be complaining about them, either). Moreover the notation with
> "/" instead of "\" is odd (I get errors similar to these when running
> qmake in windows mode on Linux).

Yes I am running from a normal (Windows/Dos)  command prompt.
> 2) Which version of qmake are you using? Did you install and use the Qt
> version from the KDE on Windows project? In order to determine this run
> "qmake -v" from the command line. It should tell you which version of Qt
> is used and where it is installed. The version should be 4.4.3 (or
> above, like 4.4.3-2).

Qmake is 2.01a but Qt was 4.4.2 from an installation I needed to get
Linguist for the translation of the interface of TeXworks.
I did uninstall it and reinstalled and now I have 4.4.3.
> 3) As far as I know TeXworks doesn't (yet) come with a release version,
> hence it's curious that qmake tries to create Makefile.Release. Could
> you replace your local TeXworks.pro file with the one from
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/browse/trunk/TeXworks.pro, this
> way any problems with the update process can be ruled out.

Ok, but comparing the two files: they are exactly the same (except for
the changes of INCLUDEPATH and LIBS from your document.)

The result of qmake -t vcapp is the same:

WARNING: Unable to generate output for:
c:/texworks/texworks/Makefile.Debug (TEMPLATE vcapp]
WARNING: Unable to generate output for:
c:/texworks/texworks/Makefile.Release (TEMPLATE vcapp]

> As promised I also uploaded the version I compiled to
> http://web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325258/files/texworks/. I'm not sure
> if it will work on all Windows systems (it did on mine, obviously). I'm
> not sure either if you need the dlls (or if you can use the ones
> Jonathan published on google).

Were missing for execution: poppler-qt4.dll and freetype.dll which I
have from the KDE installation.
It works. I'll test!

I did already find a new menu in the preview (Find) for which there is a
need for translation (so the _fr.ts file is needed).
> NB: Use that program at your own risk. It still has the problem
> mentioned in the build instructions that when run from within MSVC it
> crashes with some memory corruption.

I will not run it from MSVC!! :-)

Thanks for the help!

Alain