[texworks] Some points to check

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Dec 3 10:41:06 CET 2008

On 3 Dec 2008, at 21:29, Alain Delmotte wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some more small points to check. (working under Windows!!)
>
> 1) When there is a selection, using the left or right arrow key
> undoes the selection *and* move one character.
> With other text editor, the use of the arrow keys only undoes the
> selection, which is more convenient, imho.

I agree, I'd prefer that. I'll see if I can override the current
behavior.

> 2) The option "Find selection" only works  on some words, not if
> there is a LF

You're right. I'd consider this a bug; I think I know why it's
happening, so I'll see about fixing it.

> 3) In the preferences for typesetting and the definition of the
> different possibilities, there is at the left bottom an option "View
> PDF after running"; it doesn't seem to work.
> I expect to typeset, view the result, but not moving to the view
> window. Correct?

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be working as I'd expect. What was intended
is that if this option is checked, then after the process finishes,
TeXworks will look for a PDF file with the same base name, and open it
(or refresh/activate it, if already open). If this option is
unchecked, it shouldn't do anything special when the process finishes
(e.g., for things like running Bibtex alone).

> 4) Looking back to the discussions, will there be the possibility to
> modify the keyboard shortcuts from within TeXworks and not passing
> through Linguist?

I hope to provide this some day, though there is not currently any
support for it.

> Thanks for what is going on.
> I have realized that many people working here on TeXworks did also
> work on other major systems (like XeTeX*). If I did see that before,
> I wouldn't have been so impudent to give my *advices*. :-))

Your comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome! Feedback like
this is really valuable. Just one suggestion, if I may: specific items
like these (rather than more general discussion of the overall design,
etc) are best entered as bugs or feature requests on the issue list at http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/list
. That helps me to keep track of them, rather than forget what has
come up in email threads. (I've just filed a couple of these myself,
as a reminder!)

Thanks,

JK