[texworks] Some questions/comment

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Nov 26 19:26:01 CET 2008

On 27 Nov 2008, at 07:03, Per Ting wrote:

> I have recently found texworks, and found it very promising. Here
> are some questions, comments, wishes.
>
> 1-Can/will texworks support the latex-dsips-ps2opdf path? For those
> using psfrag/pstricks this is essential.

This is best done using a script such as simpdftex (is that available
on Windows?) or latexmk, so that as far as TeXworks is concerned, it
appears as a single command just like pdflatex. Then it's just a case
of configuring a new tool in the Preferences/Typesetting dialog.

> 2-Will it support some of the capabilities of Winedt (Active
> strings, macros for inserting various environment, selection
> compiling, and many other nice features)?

It's unlikely that it will ever match the exact feature set of another
program, but I hope to gradually add some capabilities -- specific
suggestions (for interface and behavior) are welcome. Of course, the
code is open, so anyone is welcome to offer patches to add their
favorite enhancement!

> 3-Will/Can it interact with latexdaemon?

What would that involve?

> 4-Can/Will it interact with some graphic programs, I am using TpX/
> Winedt combination and they interact nicely.

What kind of interaction do you have in mind?

> 5-I think what I wish is winedt capabilities burried under a
> streamilined GUI with side by side edit/pdfview panels, forward/
> backward sync and the dvi-ps-pdf path, probably this is too much to
> wish for!

Probably! :)

JK