[texworks] Some remarks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 30 16:15:38 CET 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> Also, it would be good to have all shortcuts duplicated without "\"
>
> I'd be interested to hear what others think about this. The current
> list basically comes from what's distributed with TeXShop. I've
> noticed that some abbreviations are provided without \, but others
> aren't; I'm not a heavy user of these so I don't feel qualified to
> say what's most useful.

Howdy,

There are two types of completions; one that is based on the command
itself and a second that is an abbreviation. Also, when the completion
code tries to find a completion it takes all the characters between
the point (the cursor) and a terminator character (space, tab,
linefeed(newline), period, comma, semicolon, colon, {, }, (, ) or \
(actually the TeX Command Character which can vary in different
implementations). The { and \ also become part of the expansion --- at
least that is what it is in TeXShop and I believe TeXWorks) as it
searches to the left. If the character before the text to be completed
is NOT one of those you should use a \; e.g., `tt will NOT expand to `
\texttt{} with the cursor between the braces but `\tt will expand
correctly.

By the way, the `it' abbreviation doesn't expand to \textit{} at all
on my system. That is because one should mostly use \emph{} (get that
with the `em' abbreviation). You can add `it' to the tw-latex.txt file
if you

Also, to keep things simple, there are duplicates but, hopefully, they
are set up so that the most used ones are chosen first. If not, you
can change the order in the tw-latex.txt file.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)