[texworks] Why is $PATH ignored?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Oct 3 19:22:42 CEST 2008

Bruno Voisin a écrit :
> Le 3 oct. 08 à 08:36, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
>
>> PS: just noticed the following:
>> - when using my X login manager, "LC_ALL=C texworks" still gives the
>> interface in French, but
>> - loging in console and running startx from there, "LC_ALL=C texworks"
>> gives the english interface as expected.
>> So probably my X login manager is doing nasty things indeed. I'll
>> investigate this when I have a bit more time.
>
> This may or may not be related,

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is related. In the terminal I launch
texworks from, the PATH is correct. I can type "pdftex" and it is found.
 Then I launch texworks and this instance of texworks doesn't find pdftex.

> - The terminal window (I imagine that's what you mean by "logging in
> console") is a login shell, ie it inherits the path setting from
> /etc/profile, ~/.bashrc and the like.
>
> - The X11 console (I imagine that's what you mean by the "X login
> manager") is not a login shell, ie it does not inherits these path setting.

I can assure you I double- and triple-checked that my PATH settings are
correct in all the instances of zsh I'm using.

The problem is, the PATH of the parent shell doesn't make its way to the
process that actually try to launch pdftex, and in the way another PATH,
call it PATH2, is substituted.

Now the funny thing in my tests is that this PATH2 happens to contain or
not the tex component depending on whether I logged in using my display
manager, or logged in (hence set the PATH) in a console before I started
X. This is something strange I'd like to investigate for myself (I don't
trust that much my X login manager) but I think this is unrelated to the
basic question : why is there any PATH2 in the texworks equation?

Manuel.