[texworks] Windows TL2007 path newbie crash

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 3 05:16:17 CEST 2008

On 2 Oct 2008, at 10:31 PM, Juan Acevedo wrote:

> Hello
>
> I just installed TeXworks (r.167) on Windows XP, where I have a
> working installation of TL2007. I successfully told TeXworks where
> to find the "bin" (/bin/win32), but when I try to typeset a file it
> seems not to recognize any LaTeX command. It will stop at
> \documentclass.

That sounds like it's running a plain TeX process (i.e. pdftex or
xetex) rather than pdflatex or xelatex. Check which typesetting tool
is selected in the toolbar menu.

Note that you can choose a default tool in Preferences/Typesetting;
also, you can add a comment of the form

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex

(or another tool name) to the beginning of your files in order to
ensure that the appropriate tool is used.

JK