[texworks] Why is $PATH ignored?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 2 21:34:25 CEST 2008

    By putting the appropriate 'export PATH=...' statement in my ~/.xsession

I would expect .xsession to be read when X is started, not when
subprocesses of X applications are started.

I have always put my PATH setting in ~/.bashrc (adjust for preferred
shell), unconditionally, and source .bashrc from .bash_login.  That way,
it is set even with non-interactive ssh, etc.

I can't recall any real facts, but "in some cases" either the
application or the system will clear PATH to something minimal when
starting a subprocess.

    I get only the three components
    /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux
    /usr/local/bin
    /usr/bin

Now that is puzzling.  Maybe /etc/bashrc?

In any event, I don't know what TeXworks can do about this.  It's just
starting a subprocess in the normal way, I presume.

karl