[texworks] Why is $PATH ignored?

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Thu Oct 2 18:55:46 CEST 2008

On 2 oct. 08, at 17:53, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why does texworks ignore the PATH environment variable? My TeX Live
> binaries are in /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux, and this
> directory is in my PATH, but texworks won't find it until I set it in
> the preferences dialog.
>
> I think the directories specified in this dialog should be added to
> the
> regular PATH (preferably with lower priority), not override it.
>
> Manuel.

TeXWorks does not ignore the PATH environment variable.
As all desktop applications, it inherits the environment of the
launching process.
This parent process is not a terminal, so it has no idea of your .init
files and its PATH is limited.

Parsing the terminal config files would be a real pain,
because those file differ depending on the system, the version, the
shell...