[texworks] Why is $PATH ignored?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:00:52 CEST 2008

On 2 Oct 2008, at 9:23 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why does texworks ignore the PATH environment variable? My TeX Live
> binaries are in /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux, and this
> directory is in my PATH, but texworks won't find it until I set it in
> the preferences dialog.

How is that directory added to your PATH? When TeXworks creates a
subprocess, it doesn't inherit your interactive shell environment...

> I think the directories specified in this dialog should be added to
> the
> regular PATH (preferably with lower priority), not override it.

I'd be more inclined to give them higher priority, I think; if the
user explicitly asks TeXworks to use programs from a certain
directory, it should do so. But first let's see if we can figure out
the best way to get hold of your default paths, if appropriate.

JK