[texworks] Compiling TeXWorks on MacOSX

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 08:57:46 CEST 2008

On 2 Oct 2008, at 12:15 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Jonathan Kew
> <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 2 Oct 2008, at 4:12 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>

>> make? Are you trying to build using a Makefile, rather than an Xcode
>> project? I haven't attempted that.
>
> Yes (but due to ignorance rather than sophistication). Now how I
> should use Xcode (I see no project)

Running qmake (no options needed) in the TeXworks source dir (where
the .pro file is) should generate TeXworks.xcodeproj -- at least
that's what it does for me. Then open the project with Xcode, and build.

(Actually, I'm not even sure how to get qmake to create a Makefile on
OS X, though I believe it's an alternative if you want it.)

>> The other question is whether the libraries you've built are fat
>> binaries.
>> The Qt project for TeXworks is set up to generate a fat (dual-
>> architecture)
>> application, but this will fail if you compiled the libraries as
>> single-architecture. See the recent thread "fontconfig issues" with
>> Stephen
>> Moye; might be similar issues.
>
> There is one way to find out: try to compile.

Well, you can check whether your libraries are "fat" using the file
command, e.g.:

$ file /usr/local/lib/libhunspell-1.2.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libhunspell-1.2.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2
architectures
/usr/local/lib/libhunspell-1.2.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-
O dynamically linked shared library ppc
/usr/local/lib/libhunspell-1.2.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386

$ file /usr/local/lib/libpoppler.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libpoppler.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2
architectures
/usr/local/lib/libpoppler.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library ppc
/usr/local/lib/libpoppler.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386

$ file /usr/local/lib/libpoppler-qt4.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libpoppler-qt4.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2
architectures
/usr/local/lib/libpoppler-qt4.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library ppc
/usr/local/lib/libpoppler-qt4.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386

If any of them are i386-only on your machine, the application won't
build unless you modify the .pro file to remove the option that
specifies both x86 and ppc architectures.

JK