[texworks] fontconfig issues

Stephen Moye sgmoye at me.com
Sat Sep 27 03:09:48 CEST 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2008, at 8:04 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>>> (2) Re-do your hunspell build, setting an appropriate environment
>>> for the configure script so that it builds a Universal library.
>>> What options would that require? Sorry, I don't remember offhand!
>>> Something along the lines of
>>>
>>> CC='gcc -arch ppc -arch i386' CXX='g++ -arch ppc -arch i386' ./
>>> configure
>>>
>>> might do it, but there may be additional variables you have to
>>> adjust as well.
>>
>> Good guesses! Of the two options that you recommend, my vote would
>> be for the second, particularly as I work on both kinds of
>> machines. I tried to recompile hunspell as you suggested, but got
>> this:
>>
>> ---------------------
>>
>> 14:52 ~/<2>hunspell-1.2.7: ./configure CC='gcc -arch ppc -arch
>> i386' CXX='g++ -arch ppc -arch i386' checking build system type...
> [....]
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
>> configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>
> OK, try adding
>
> CPP='gcc -E' CXXCPP='g++ -E'
>
> and see if that helps.
>
> Oh, I notice you gave these as arguments *following* the ./configure
> command; I'm not sure if that has the same effect as setting them
> *before* ./configure on the command line, which is how I'd normally
> do it. Maybe the result is the same either way.
>
> JK

Well, that worked perfectly, so I returned with eager anticipation to
Xcode and TeXworks -- and got the same warning and four errors. If I
knew how to do do a hollow laugh, I'd do one now... 8>}

I'm going to leave this until Monday: All of this has taken place at
work at the AMS, so when I return to work on Monday -- all rejuvenated
-- I'll try to nail this down.

It's odd: compiling TeXworks on Ubuntu was a snap, but with the Mac OS
it is a real challenge. Go figure.

Thanks so much for all your help and time -- maybe, just maybe, I'll
get the hang of this...

Stephen