[texworks] fontconfig issues

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Fri Sep 26 19:43:02 CEST 2008

On 26 Sep 2008, at 4:19 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> This is what I'm getting from Xcode:
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Building target ???TeXworks??? of project ???TeXworks??? with
> configuration ???Debug??? ??? (4 errors, 1 warning)
> 	    cd /Projects/texworks-app
>   /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -o /Projects/texworks-app/obj/
> TeXworks.build/Debug/TeXworks.build/Objects-normal/i386/TeXworks -L/
> Projects/texworks-app/build/Debug -L/Library/Frameworks -L/usr/local/
> lib -L/System/Library/Frameworks -F/Projects/texworks-app/build/
> Debug -filelist /Projects/texworks-app/obj/TeXworks.build/Debug/
> TeXworks.build/Objects-normal/i386/TeXworks.LinkFileList -lpoppler-
> qt4.3 -lhunspell-1.2.0.0.0 -framework QtXml -framework QtGui -
> framework Carbon -framework AppKit -framework QtCore -framework
> ApplicationServices -arch i386

Apparently you're building an Intel application (-arch i386)...

> -mmacosx-version-min=10.3 -headerpad_max_install_names -L/Library/
> Frameworks -F/Library/Frameworks -L/usr/local/lib -lz -lm
> ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libhunspell-1.2.0.0.0.dylib, file is
> not of required architecture

...but the hunspell library you've got (did you build that from
source, too?) doesn't include Intel code.

OK, now I start speculating: I think you're running on a PowerPC Mac.
However, the TeXworks project file (.pro) is set up to build universal
binaries by default, so Xcode will compile for both architectures.

But when you built hunspell, the configure process detected a PPC
machine and built a PPC library. So the TeXworks build fails when
trying to link the i386 version of the code.

Solution? Two possibilities:

(1) Edit TeXworks.pro and remove the line

         CONFIG += x86 ppc

and then re-run qmake to create a fresh Xcode project. Without that
CONFIG line, it will build a single-architecture app for your
platform, which is fine if you're not planning to share it with other
people on other kinds of machine.

(2) Re-do your hunspell build, setting an appropriate environment for
the configure script so that it builds a Universal library. What
options would that require? Sorry, I don't remember offhand! Something
along the lines of

     CC='gcc -arch ppc -arch i386' CXX='g++ -arch ppc -arch i386' ./
configure

might do it, but there may be additional variables you have to adjust
as well.

JK