[texworks] synctex

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Sep 4 13:04:23 CEST 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 3:29 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2008, at 7:38 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>>> Ctrl-click.
>
> At least for the time being; I'm not sure if this is really the best
> choice. (Suggestions welcome.)
>
>>> You'll need to alter the compiler options to "-synctex=-1"
>>> if you're using MiKTeX, as the default produces the wrong format
>>> of sync
>>> data.
>>
>> It seems --synctex=1 produces compressed sync data (in .synctex.gz
>> format), which only a few editors/previewers can take advantage of
>> (TeXShop and TeXworks on the Mac, probably iTeXMac as well), while
>> --synctex=-1 produces uncompressed sync data (in .synctex format).
>
> TeXworks ought to be able to use the compressed sync data on Windows
> as well, but the current builds are broken in this regard so you
> have to use uncompressed data as a workaround until I fix that.
>
> Editors/previewers that rely on the synctex command-line tool to
> interact with the data, rather than having their own built-in code,
> ought to be OK with .gz, as the tool is supposed to support that.

It seems I have another problem. Although I set the path for the TeX
binaries to Program Files\texlive\2008\bin\win32
it seems to still be looking in the TeXLive2007 directory (which no
longer exists).

I'm getting:
Warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these
directories: C:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/web2c.
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (Web2C 7.5.7)
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these
directories: C:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/web2c.
Failed to find cnffile fmtutil.cnf.
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these
directories: C:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/web2c.
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt