[texworks] synctex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Sep 4 08:38:49 CEST 2008

Le 4 sept. 08 à 07:56, Joseph Wright a écrit :

> Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:
>> What is the click/key sequence to use synctex? If it matters, I'm
>> talking about on Windows.
>
> Ctrl-click.  You'll need to alter the compiler options to "-
> synctex=-1"
> if you're using MiKTeX, as the default produces the wrong format of
> sync
> data.

It seems --synctex=1 produces compressed sync data (in .synctex.gz
format), which only a few editors/previewers can take advantage of
(TeXShop and TeXworks on the Mac, probably iTeXMac as well), while --
synctex=-1 produces uncompressed sync data (in .synctex format).

BTW, I got that info from Dick Koch, the developer of TeXShop, but
could not find any related documentation. "pdftex --help" points out a
--synctex=NUMBER option, without telling what NUMBER means (other than
it must be non-zero). There's a command-line synctex utility, but
"synctex help" doesn't say anything about this number. And the pdfTeX
manual (in TeX Live 2008) dates back to January 2007 and doesn't say
anything about SyncTeX.

Bruno Voisin