[texshop] .tex file icon

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Jan 8 09:08:13 CET 2019

> Le 8 Jan 2019 à 01:34, Sadeq Elbaneh <elbanesa at icloud.com> a écrit :
>
> I’ve noticed that my .tex files have a white rectangular icon with a corner fold.  I’m used to locating .tex files
> using the TeXShop icon, but I don’t see this icon anymore.   I have a mac running 10.14.2 (Mojave).
>
> Is there a way to get my .tex files show the TeXShop icon?

This is a recurring problem, for which there is no real solution.

Most likely, this happens because you have installed on your Mac another application that claims ownership of .tex files. Obvious candidates are texts editors (for example BBEdit does).

Unfortunately, macOS has no reliable mechanism to ensure that one application takes precedence over others for a given file extension. Years ago, Adam Maxwell wrote an essay about this:

https://github.com/amaxwell/mactex_uti

I don't know which part of it remains current.

What you can do is open TeXShop then select the item "Select TeXShop as Default TeX Editor" in the TeXShop menu. This is equivalent to selecting a .tex file in the Finder, opening the Info window for it, then selecting TeXShop in the "Open with" section and clicking the "Change All" button.

This will make sure .tex files always open in TeXShop when double-clicked. It may or may not affect the icon used for .tex files.

Another possibility is that you have inadvertently selected "Show icon preview" in the Finder. To be sure, open a Finder window, select the folder where your .tex file is, click the Actions button in the toolbar of that window, select "Show View Options" in the menu that appears and look at whether "Show icon preview" is checked. If it is, then that explains why you aren't seeing the TeXShop file icon.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin