[texshop] Printing and dark mode

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Mon Dec 30 10:57:13 CET 2019

> Le 29 Dec 2019 à 19:29, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> a écrit :
>
> I never noticed that the General tab of System Preferences added that `Automatic' setting for Dark/Light mode. I think I'd find that sudden shift from Dark (what I use) to Light a bit disconcerting.

This Automatic setting was added at some point, according to <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208976> it was with Catalina. For some time it was the default (possibly for some of Catalina’s betas), that’s how I noticed it, but now I don’t think it still is.

The switch from light to dark occurs in the evenings, when the light is already low so that’s not really an annoyance. I never investigated what triggers it: an ambient light sensor, or the sunset time based on GPS positioning or for the selected time zone. This may be connected with the switch time for the Night Shift setting in System Prefs > Displays.

I tend to prefer dark mode, but there’s always a moment when I need to switch back to light mode to reveal barely visible details in dark mode (as in Maps). I intended to experiment creating a new TeXShop dark theme based on Xcode’s default dark theme, but never found the time (and probably never will).

Bruno