[texshop] What does F5 do?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Fri Oct 12 17:14:00 CEST 2018

> Le 12 Oct 2018 à 16:47, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> a écrit :
>
> It has nothing to do with Command Completion (which uses Esc by default or Tab via Preferences as a trigger). It is also not autocompletion which is better called KeyBindings. Under Mojave it appears to be related to that little line that gives word completion suggestions under iOS. I don't see anyway to turn it off but I can hope one will appear in a later iteration Mojave.

First, something that may be of help:

https://www.danrodney.com/mac/

It lists all the keyboard shortcuts of macOS (known to the author of the page), and is up-to-date for Mojave.

In particular, in the category "Working with Text - Only work in some apps (Safari, Mail, TextEdit, etc.)", there is

"Auto completion word	Start typing the word. Press Option–Esc (or F5) to open suggested word list"

Now, regarding Stephen's specific query:

- Unchecking "Correct spelling automatically" in System Prefs > Keyboard > Text makes F5 completion disappear. However, this also disables spell checking, which may not be what you want.

- The following seems to disable F5 completion but not spell checking, and to only affect TeXShop

defaults write TeXShop.plist NSUseSpellCheckerForCompletions -bool false

(To be confirmed, as I'm really not an expert on completion. I hadn't noticed the whole thing as I have "Correct spelling automatically" unchecked on my setup.)

Hope this helps,

Bruno