[texshop] What does F5 do?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Fri Oct 12 16:37:20 CEST 2018

> Le 12 Oct 2018 à 13:42, Stephen Moye <stephenmoye at mac.com> a écrit :
>
> I use F3, F4 and F6 quite a bit. Every once in a while, by accident, I hit F5 and get a dropdown list of random words (not most recently used even) -- unless I'm careful and do Command-Z, the dropdown text becomes a part of the text. I have TeXShop Preferences>Editor>BibDesk Completions turned OFF. Is there a Mac OS system thing going on here?

Based on a couple of random Google hits

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/139704/autocomplete-for-macos
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/334600/mac-os-sierra-auto-complete-not-working-in-texshop
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27337020/how-to-disable-words-autocomplete-when-pressing-f5-or-esc-in-macos-yosemite-el-c
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3675003

it seems the F5 autocompletion trigger is an OS-wide Cocoa thing, not something specific to TeXShop.

That said, I would have expected it to be customizable in either of

System Prefs > Keyboard > Text
System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts

but I can't find it there.

The expert on those things is most likely Herbert, but I couldn't find a reference to F5 in

~/Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion/Command Completion For TeXShop.pdf
~/Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion/Quick Start Guide for Command Completion/QuickStartGuide4CommandCompletion.pdf

Maybe I'm mixing things up and command completion and autocompletion are two different things.

I'm not using autocompletion (or command completion) myself, so I can't be of any help here. Sorry!

Bruno