[texshop] TeXShop 4.18

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Dec 2 01:18:37 CET 2018

> On 1 Dec 2018, at 22:26, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> I don't see a request for authentication when I update using Sparkle, but then, I own the folder containing the version being updated.  If /Applications/TeX is owned by root, I'd think the authentication request came from macOS.

Looking rapidly through /Applications, it seems:

- All the apps that are part of macOS or installed from the App Store are owned by root:wheel.

- All the apps that have been installed by drag-and-drop from a disk image are owned by <me>:admin or <me>:staff.

- For the apps installed by installer packages, it's generally root:admin, in some cases root:wheel and in one case  (for which it was an oldstyle Vise installer package) <me>:admin.

There are apps that are, as for MacTeX, installed inside subfolders of /Applications: Adobe apps, ancillary apps for external devices like printers or powerline adapters, and old surviving apps from Mac OS Classic days like KaleidaGraph or MathType.

In these cases, the subfolder is in all cases but one owned by root:admin or root:wheel, so MacTeX is no exception there.

Bruno