[texshop] TeXShop 4.18

Justin C. Walker justin at me.com
Sun Dec 2 00:32:12 CET 2018

Thanks for the response, Herb.  See below...

> On Dec 1, 2018, at 11:46 , Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 2018, at 1:22 PM, Justin C. Walker <justin at me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>>> On Dec 1, 2018, at 08:45 , Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> TeXShop 4.18 is now available via the Sparkle update procedure and from
>>>
>>> 	http://pages.uoregon,edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>
>> This may be a result of shooting myself in the wrong foot, but while fooling around with new versions of TeXShop over the past couple of weeks, I ended up with two versions (both in /Applications/TeX/).  They had different names on the file system (like TS1 and TS2) while I was in the middle of fiddling, and I neglected to change the name of one to the original.
>>
>> I tried to check for updates on the more recent version (the 4.18 version announced only on this list) [out of curiosity more than anything].  I got an “Update Error” alert that told me this:
>>
>> "TeXShop can't be updated, because it was opened from a read-only or a temporary location. Use Finder to copy TeXShop to the Applications folder, relaunch it from there, and try again.”
[snip]

> Strange... I had that with another update to an application today. Just do what the message says. Move TeXShop to the Application folder and start it once and Quit. Once that happens you can move it to a sub-folder and all will be better. Make sure you clean up the multiple copies and naming before you do anything else.

I tried this, although I initially did not remove the the other versions with strange names.  Then I tried this a number of times. Still get the same message.

FWIW, I have frequently done this (having multiple versions of TS) without running into Sparkle issues.  Not since having a 10.13 system, though.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director