trouble installing a new MacTeX distribution

Alex Nahmad-Rohen theseaitisstillviolent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:35:15 CEST 2022

Dear Sir or Madam:

I’ve downloaded and installed the 2022 distribution of MacTeX and ran the
installer, which said the installation was completed successfully, yet I
can’t seem to activate this distribution.

In System Preferences > TeX Distribution, I can only see the 2015, 2014 and
2008 versions.

I’m reading the “READ_ME_FIRST” document, but so far I haven’t found a
solution to my problem. I’ve looked into the following:

I’ve navigated to /usr/local/texlive, and I can see folders for the three
distributions mentioned above, as well as 2009, 2021 and 2022. It indeed
seems everything was installed properly.

When I open Tex Live Utility (version 1.53), it tells me I’m using the 2015
TeX Live version and I should update to a newer version; it provides a
button labelled “Upgrade” which takes me to the TUG website so I can
download one (which is what I’ve already done). Under the “Actions” menu,
the “Update All Packages” option is greyed out. Under the “Configure” menu,
there is no “Reconfigure Distributions...” option.

If it matters, this is all on an M1-Max MacBook Pro running macOS 12.5.

Thanks in advance. Regards.

/ A