Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour

Christopher Dimech dimech at gmx.com
Tue Sep 27 13:03:08 CEST 2022

> Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 10:29 PM
> From: "Ulrike Fischer" <news3 at nililand.de>
> To: tex-live at tug.org
> Cc: texhax at tug.org
> Subject: Re: Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour
>
> Am Tue, 27 Sep 2022 12:05:49 +0200 schrieb Christopher Dimech:
>
> > Would you have required reference from authority source to the Jews you
> > found as you entered the extermination camps in German-occupied Europe.
> > Or reference from the people who sufferred frem the Soviet Gulag System.
>
> Misusing the horror of the extermination camps to make a petty
> argument against a software is inacceptable and disrespectful to the
> victims of these camps.

This is where me disagree.  It is a valid contrarian view for the absolute requirement
of documented proof by what some decide to call authority.  Naturally, I am not here
to dictate how people run the event.  For one thing, this shows how computer science and
computer engineering departments today are not providing much innovation to their
community.  What people can do is to encourage their computer science and computer
engineering departments about the value of working on honest development of technology
that serves the best interests of those who use the software rather than some other entity.

I provided an explanation on valid reasons to thumb down the use of Zoom.  But some got really
offended.  I am used to the approach of individuals whose modus-operandi involve insults,
shame, guilt and the need to be right.  People whose education has educated them out of it.

I did not have more to say than the initial comments.  Yet I see quite a few starting freaking
out about it.  It is the latter part that has been unnecessary.  Who have I disrespected exactly.
The mathematical community has a reputation in the world that it can take criticism.  But perhaps
Grigori Perelman was right to reject the community's accolades.  So I shall continue to be his
friend and agree with him.