Font help

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 05:56:46 CEST 2022

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 8:30 PM Sanjay GOVINDJEE <s_g at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Ok, thanks.   Is there anything I can extract from the files to give
> better hints to you?

Producing an MWE (minimal working example) that shows the problem would be
nice, but this could be hard if you are starting from a "book" that has its
own style files, etc ...

> Perhaps also there are some good questions that I can ask the publisher
> about the files?
> -sanjay

Having a "complete" set of files, that is also including LOG-files is a
must. From the log-file we would be able to tell what system is it and
possibly how hard it would be to run it inside a modern TeXLive system.
Make sure you ask them for the complete-original set of files... even the
dates on these files can help finding out what is the system they run and
what will take to update it. It is a bit of forensics...

Another thing you can do, it to replace these fonts that are being
problematic, in this case

     TIB.PFB

with something trivial (and more modern, and available) just to make it
process, and then later replace it back with something that can really
replace it. I think the names TIR, TII, TIB, ... stand for Times-Roman,
Italic, Bold, Bold-Italic, etc ... so it won't be hard to find something
modern to replace it.

These names were used by ATM Fonts management and it is old tech and hard
to mimic in these days TeXLive.

The sources though should be good and very usable.

Paulo Ney

>>> MTMIB.PFM    MTSYN.PFM    OWBI____.PFM OWB_____.PFM    Offici-B.fnt
>>> TIBI____.PFM    TIB_____.PFM TII_____.PFM    TIR_____.PFM
>>> ZD______.PFM    timesbd.ttf
>>> HVB_____.PFM    HV______.PFM    MTEX.PFB    MTMI.PFB    MTMIB.PFB
>>> MTSYN.PFB    OWBI____.PFB    OWB_____.PFB    Offic-BI.fnt
>>> TIBI____.PFB    TIB_____.PFB    TII_____.PFB    TIR_____.PFB
>>> ZD______.PFB    times.ttf
>>>
>>> and some of these appear to be loaded in the style files:
>>>
>>> Kumba_symbols.tex:\font\rrmu=mtgu at 10pt
>>> P04_Zienk.sty:\font\tmb=tib at 15pt
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\chapheadfont=TGB2 at 12pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:%\font\chapfont=TGL at 22pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\authorfont=TGB at 14pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\affilfont=TGO at 10pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\tocfont=TGB at 8pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\itemheadfont=TGB at 10pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\zapfont=ZD at 2.75pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\tabfootfont=HVO at 7.5pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\tabentriesfont=HV at 8.5pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\tabcolheadfont=HVB at 8.5pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\tabcolheadsupfont=HVO at 5.7pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\tabcolsubheadfont=HVBO at 8.5pt%
>>> P04_Zienk.tex:\font\titgr=hvmbi at 20pt