another interesting Zotero failure/ a guide to reverse engineering ( long day of rants )

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 01:11:34 CEST 2022

This is kind of funny as a competition with Zotero but the effort put into
making the websites hard to cite and the 10x efforts trying to fix it is a huge
waste of time for everyone including probably a lot of authors and researchers.
But here is the latest one that I think gives me insight into how the Zotero webform
https://zbib.org/ works.

This looks simple enough,

https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/25/4/432/73165/The-Anemia-of-Human-Riboflavin-Deficiency

but alas Zotero IIRC was returning a placeholder this AM and now a "no results" message.
I thought I had seen my headless chrome downloader fail a couple times lately
and in fact it was failing here. "getOuterHTML" never returns and it may be more than
just an isolated site ( although I have an ancient version of chrome ).
The coincidence of failures leads me to believe Zotero is using headless chrome
and a lazy implementation would explain their inability to do pdf files :)
Despite my most
professional selection of curse words, I finally ended up with a terrible kluge but it
works for now. You would think instead of wasting time making cryptic sites forcing
people to spend even more time reverse engineering them just so they can get
accurate citations, they could come up with a way to derive a bibtex link from
a given descroption link or something. This is probably even dumber with Bomtex
trying to write works that lead to sales lol.

I finally got this,
 toobib -clip
mjm>clip xxxx
./toobib.h546  cmd=clip p1=xxxx p2= flags=18 x.flag_to_string(flags,0)=show_trial paste_citation
./mjm_med2bib_guesses.h990  uin=https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/25/4/432/73165/The-Anemia-of-Human-Riboflavin-Deficiency dest=xxxx flags=18
./mjm_med2bib_guesses.h1164 % mjmhandler: toobib handledoi(crossref)
% date 2022-10-21:18:23:42 Fri Oct 21 18:23:42 EDT 2022
% srcurl: https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/25/4/432/73165/The-Anemia-of-Human-Riboflavin-Deficiency
% citeurl: http://api.crossref.org/works/10.1182/blood.V25.4.432.432
@article{LANE_ALFREY_Anemia_Human_1965,
X_TooBib = {date: 04/01/1965},
X_TooBib = {year: 1965,  infield_fix_dates },
X_TooBib = {month: 04,  infield_fix_dates },
X_TooBib = {day: 01,  infield_fix_dates },
X_TooBib = {urldate: FixBeKvp s= cmd=date "+%Y-%m-%d" d=2022-10-21 dn=urldate},
X_TooBib = {author: LANE , MONTAGUE and ALFREY , CLARENCE P.},
abstract = {<jats:title>Abstract</jats:title> <jats:p>1. Riboflavin deficiency was induced in 8 adult males with a riboflavin deficient diet and a riboflavin antagonist, galactoflavin.</jats:p> <jats:p>2. Each patient developed a normochromic normocytic anemia and reticulocytopenia.</jats:p> <jats:p>3. The leukocyte counts and platelet counts remained within the normal range throughout the period of deficiency.</jats:p> <jats:p>4. The bone marrow changes and ferrokinetic characteristics of this anemia have been described.</jats:p> <jats:p>5. The anemia was reversed by riboflavin administration.</jats:p>},
affiliation = {Departments of Pharmacology and Medicine, Baylor University College of Medicine, and the Department of Medicine and Radioisotope Service, Veterans Administration Hospital, Houston, Texas. and Baylor University College of Medicine, Houston, Tex. and Departments of Pharmacology and Medicine, Baylor University College of Medicine, and the Department of Medicine and Radioisotope Service, Veterans Administration Hospital, Houston, Texas. and Department of Medicine, Baylor University College of Medicine; Chief, Radioisotope Service, Veterans Administration Hospital, Houston, Tex.},
author = {LANE , MONTAGUE and ALFREY , CLARENCE P.},
author_orig = {MONTAGUE LANE and CLARENCE P. ALFREY},
bib-source = {Crossref},
content-domain = {ashpublications.org, true},
date = {04/01/1965},
date-created = {2019-10-13T06:36:07Z},
date-deposited = {2019-11-172019-11-17T04:56:28Z},
date-indexed = {2022-10-17T10:30:53Z},
date-issued = {1965-04-01},
date-journal-issue = {1965-04-01},
date-published-print = {1965-04-01},
date_orig = { 1965-04-01   1965-04-01 1965-04-01      },
day = {01},
deposited = {1573966588000},
doi = {10.1182/blood.v25.4.432.432},
is-referenced-by-count = {43},
issn = {1528-0020},
issn-type = {0006-4971, print, 1528-0020, electronic},
issue = {4},
journal = {Blood},
journal-issue = {4},
language = {en},
link = {http://ashpublications.org/blood/article-pdf/25/4/432/754278/432.pdf, application/pdf, vor, syndication, http://ashpublications.org/blood/article-pdf/25/4/432/754278/432.pdf, unspecified, vor, similarity-checking},
member = {234},
month = {04},
page = {432-442},
prefix = {10.1182},
publication-date = {1965-04-01},
publisher = {American Society of Hematology},
reference-count = {0},
references-count = {0},
resource = {https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/25/4/432/73165/The-Anemia-of-Human-Riboflavin-Deficiency},
score = {1},
subject = {Biochemistry},
title = {The Anemia of Human Riboflavin Deficiency},
type = {journal-article},
update-policy = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1182/blood.2019cm0000},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1182/blood.v25.4.432.432},
urldate = {2022-10-21},
volume = {25},
year = {1965},
final_assembly ={ TooBib handler handledoi(crossref)},
srcurl={https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/25/4/432/73165/The-Anemia-of-Human-Riboflavin-Deficiency},
xsrcurl={https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/25/4/432/73165/The-Anemia-of-Human-Riboflavin-Deficiency},
citeurl={http://api.crossref.org/works/10.1182/blood.V25.4.432.432},
toobib-date={2022-10-21:18:23:42 Fri Oct 21 18:23:42 EDT 2022}

}

fwiw.

 Mike Marchywka
44 Crosscreek Trail
Jasper GA 30143
was 306 Charles Cox Drive  Canton, GA 30115
470-758-0799
404-788-1216