European Modern Fonts from Y&Y

Lorehead lorehead at zoho.com
Sat Oct 8 11:43:46 CEST 2022

In a discussion I had on TeX.StackExchange.com, another user pointed me to https://github.com/clerkma/yytex/tree/master/fonts/em, where the European Modern fonts, originally from Y&Y in the 1990s, are archived, together with a copyright notice saying “Copyright 2007 TeX Users Group” and:

Blue Sky, Y&Y, and the AMS released the AMS and Computer Modern fonts
long ago under free software terms.  To whatever extent that Y&Y had any
remaining proprietary improvements in the fonts as they are included
here, they have been assigned to TUG, and TUG hereby releases them as
free software, under the one-sentence all-permissive license (to avoid
license compatibility problems):

  You may freely use, modify and/or distribute the material here.

Any complete fonts given here which have not previously been released
(I'm not sure if there are any) are also hereby released under that
all-permissive license.

This was of particular interest, since European Modern is an extension of the “Blue Sky” default fonts that supports encodings other than OT1, and is superior in some ways to the cm-super fonts that are the default for the Cork encoding.

However, the only support package on CTAN for these fonts (psnfssx-em) is from 2001, and does not provide the fonts themselves. It is therefore only useful to someone who has an old copy of the files from Y&Y, which have not been sold in many years, nor are available with any yandytex package or distribution. Until yesterday, I was unaware of the git repository and had thought European Modern was not among the fonts Y&Y had donated when it went out of business.

Is there a reason the legal situation with these fonts might be more complicated than it appeared to be in 2007, or is the situation that anybody could have put together a European Modern package and submitted it to CTAN at any time in the past fifteen years, but no one ever did?