How can I change the footnote from symbol to number for authors in the title.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 23 03:06:53 CEST 2022

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 19:45:13 +0430
"be.mohammadi--- via texhax" <texhax at tug.org> wrote:

> ​Dear editor,
> ​In the latex version of 3.141592 (MiKTeX 2.3) it is not possible to
> change the footnote from symbol to number for the authors. If
> possible, please guide me how can I change the footnote from symbol
> to number for authors in the title. Thanks for your help. Yours
> sincerely, Behnam Mohammadi

That seems to me to be a very good question.  I struggled for quite
a while to find an answer and was unable to.  The "\footnotemark"
seems to get defined differently when \maketitle is invoked (in
which case it uses the footnote symbols produced by \fnsymbol{}),
from the way it is defined in "ordinary" contexts (in which case it
uses digits).

I am surprised that none of the gurus who contribute to this list have
responded to this question.  I suspect that the answer would be very
easy for them! :-)

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--