Tex code in TUG page

Kaveh kaveh at rivervalleytechnologies.com
Fri Jul 22 08:27:24 CEST 2022

On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 at 02:39, Paulo Ney de Souza <pauloney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Reinhard,
>
> I was under the impression that HTML is more accessible to the blind than
> TeX source.
> I could be wrong, but will look into it.
>
> The other thing you have to consider is that -- despite the name of the
> conference -- there
> people there, speakers included, that know exactly nothing about TeX, and
> for whom these
> codes have absolutely no meaning.

That is the main reason for my suggestion. Many novices might have heard of
TeX for the first time and would be confused at the mark-up.

At the same time I can see the point for accessibility. I made a point of
attending and recording the Math for the Blind conference conference in
Milan in 2008!
http://zeeba.tv/conferences/mathematics/math-blind-2008/

> Paulo Ney
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 6:24 PM Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-07-21 at 12:11:22 -0700, Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:
>>
>>  > Hi Kaveh,
>>  >
>>  > It has been remarked by a number of people. It is being fixed.
>>
>> Hi Paulo,
>> instead of providing a quick workaround now it would be more useful to
>> think about a better solution for next year, if necessary or desirable
>> at all.
>>
>> As TeX users we are accustomed those TeX control sequences anyway
>> because we use them daily.  Replacing \texttt{siunitx} by
>> <tt>siunitx</tt> just makes the HTML file *look* better.
>>
>> But for blind TeX users what we have now is even much more useful than
>> anything else one could imagine because they can read the markup
>> information on their Braille display.  They will not get this
>> information if \texttt{siunitx} is replaced by <tt>siunitx</tt>.  So
>> I'm not convinced that a "fix" makes everybody happy.
>>
>> Thus my recommendation is to leave things as they are now, at least
>> for the time being.  I've seen TeX macros in previous TUG conference
>> schedules too and nobody complained.  I don't understand why it's a
>> problem now.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Reinhard
>>
>> --
>> Reinhard Kotucha                            Phone: +49-511-3373112
>> Marschnerstr. 25
>> D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de

Kaveh Bazargan PhD
Director
River Valley Technologies <http://rivervalley.io> ● Twitter
<https://twitter.com/rivervalley1000> ● LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/bazargankaveh/> ● ORCID
<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1414-9098>
*Accelerating the Communication of Research*