More accessible research on arXiv.org

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 18:08:00 CET 2022

Hi

The preprint service arXiv.org is a major hub for open science research
publications. Last week arXiv staff published a framework for making these
publications more accessible. They intend to provide "HTML alongside
existing PDF and TeX formats".

This arXiv.org framework document, which includes the underlying desk and
field research, is available in both HTML and PDF. Please take a look.
HTML: https://info.arxiv.org/about/accessibility_research_report.html
PDF: https://arxiv.org/abs/2212.07286

They wrote "incorporating the conversion [to HTML] into arXiv’s submission
process will mean substantial changes to the pipeline behind the scenes".
I'm sure we all wish them well with the major endeavour, and will where
possible offer them our help and encouragement.

On Thursday 19 January, 6:30 to 8:30pm UK (ie GMT) time there'll be a
special TeX Hour on STEM access, and in particular the document toolchain /
pipeline. We are fortunate to have Jason White, Jonathan Godfrey and
Patrick Smyth as speakers. All have expert knowledge and experience both
personal and professional. If interested, please do come to listen. They'll
also be an opportunity for discussion.
https://texhour.github.io/2023/01/19/stem-access-author-reader/

wishing you all seasons greetings and best wishes for the new year

Jonathan