"track changes"

Schwartz, Steven J s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 19:31:35 CET 2022

Christopher Ryan via texhax wrote:

The editors of the journal to which I am submitting a manuscript want
the revised version with the changes visible in the compiled PDF file,
a la M$ Word.

I have used the latexdiff package/software to do this [ https://ctan.org/pkg/latexdiff ]. It doesn't require you to insert any commands in your latex file. You simply run latexdiff on a command line giving as inputs the old.tex and new.tex files. It then outputs diff.tex which is a fully compilable latex document - building on your doc's header,  that shows the changes using colored text, cross-outs, etc. As long as the original tex files will latex properly, diff.tex should as well.

You need a working version of perl as it's a perl script. There are various alternative commands, such as latexdiff-so, which provide an internal diff function if you don't have a diff program installed, or it's not compatible, etc. That's what I've always used.

I assume since you have your source under version control that extracting an old.tex file that corresponds to your original manuscript version should be straightforward.

Best wishes
Steve
Steven J Schwartz
Emeritus Professor of Space Physics/Distinguished Research Fellow
The Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College London
Email:  s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk

and

Research Affiliate
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
Colorado University Boulder
Email: steven.schwartz at lasp.colorado.edu