Fwd: tectonic

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:34:07 CEST 2022

I'm sending this to inform the TeX community about this system:

https://tectonic-typesetting.github.io/en-US/

which claims to be a "modernized, complete, self-contained TeX/LaTeX
engine."   It seems they have forked xelatex to download packages as needed.

I received a complaint from a tectonic user that using the roboto package
generated many "Requested font" warning messages in the user output. A
tectonic developer attributed this to the

\ifxetex\XeTeXtracingfonts=1\fi

command in roboto.sty.  Indeed this will generate the messages but these
normally go to the log file, not terminal output.  I do not intend to
remove this command from roboto.sty (or any of the other font packages I
maintain) because of this "feature" of tectonic.

Bob T.