a concocted symbol

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat Oct 30 19:07:55 CEST 2021

On 30/10/2021 18:01, Haines Brown wrote:

> I need to construct a symbol, but worry about its falling apart or
> becoming distorted when published.
>
> The symbol is a circle enclosing a centered "N" and is attached to an arrow
>   pointing right:
>
> {\footnotesize{N}}$\kern -0.785em \bigcirc\kern  -0.4em\longrightarrow$
>
> Can this  be done in a way that is simpler or is more stable?

As you have not specified the font in which this sequence is to occur,
your two \kerns, expressed in ems, are unlikely to reliably work as
intended.  Apart from a well-intentioned desire for portability, is
there any reason why your definition cannot also include font family,
size, variant, etc ?
--
/Philip Taylor/