[EXTERNAL] Re: TeX on Windows? [success!] [BUT PCTeX?]

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Wed May 26 22:51:10 CEST 2021

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 16:34, Robert Jantzen <robert.jantzen at villanova.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Guys!
>

> Okay, I finally got TexWorks working with TexLive! I had already installed
> it with MikTeX before and it crashed immediately on my book then, but
> apparently TexLive fixed that problem. I replaced the non-ASCII character
> for a hyphen that tripped up the typesetting noted by Alan (Philip? Okay I
> got lost in allt the messages), and put "\protect" in front of \mathbb{R}
> in a section heading which also derailed the typesetting. Now it typesets
> flawlessly!
>
> Perhaps I have been very lucky. I have installed Miktex and texlive on
many PC's over the years.  I have given install material to many others and
they have not reported any problems.  Miktex installs various components in
various places depending on whether you install it as administrator or as a
user.  Have a look at https  miktex.org  faq    uninstall-miktex-win-cli
for instructions.  (you will have to add  slashes etc.).  Incidentally the
protext system  which installs MiKTEX and TexStudio should be on your TUG
disk.

> BUT are my previous installations of MikTeX irrelevant to this TeXLive
> installation? My original MikTeX from 2 years ago will NOT uninstall. Then
> I tried to install a new version renaming its file location to MikTeX2.9new
> from MikTeX 2.9, so now there are two. If I delete the new one and
> eventually my university IT people are successful in deleting MikTeX (I
> guess I can just leave it), will that affect TexLive? I clearly am clueless
> about just exactly what TeXLive is, and did not see any plain language
> description of it. I am guessing they are totally independent:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX_Live

Your PATH environmental variable should have your Texlive bin directory in
front of any other tex bun directories.  Your teX live install has probably
done this. If you are worried you can delete any references to Miktex from
your PATH environmental variable.

> Does anyone know about the bug in uninstalling MikTeX on a windows 10
> machine? It reports an error and refuses to uninstall.

I don't know of any such bug.

> Finally, a big thank you to the support you have shown me! When I took a
> shot in the dark emailing a few addresses at TUG, I had no clue what the
> support at tug.org email was for or who it went to. I remember texhax from
> last century when I had been printing it out and keeping them in the late
> 1980s.
>

> I have a general question. Most of the regular people like me are on
> either a PC or a Mac, and don't use Linux or Unix like typical TeXperts (my
> impression). How is it that there is not room in the market for an
> economical user interface like PCTeX, which apparently has crashed as a
> company? I have invested nearly 40 years in using TeX, then LaTeX, all this
> time paying my annual individual membership to TUG because I wanted to give
> back for what TeX has done for me, even hosting a local Philadelphia Tex
> Users Group (remember TV Guide? They used to use TeX for the program grids,
> we even had Stephan Bechtolsheim in for a weekend wizard workshop at their
> headquarters nearby Villanova) in the late eighties and early nineties,
> since which I have been blissfully using PCTeX and unaware of the efforts
> one must go through to have a free installation. When I finished installing
> TeXLive, I had no idea what to do with it. I stared at the TexLive window,
> looking for some hint of what next.  Someone on this list had to tell me
> that TeXWorks was the interface (I already had some experience in the past
> with that).
>
> I think that TeXstudio is more like a standard windows GUI and is more
helpful to beginners.  I have a set of somewhat dated Latex notes at https
ideas repec org e pfr62.html  (add slashes etc.).  These answer a lot of
the questions that you have asked.

So I guess this is goodbye for now, unless anyone has any thoughts on my